Tuesday, October 23, 2012

What's the plan?

Everyone has a goal.  These goals may change overtime, but no matter who you talk to, everyone has some kind of goal for themselves.  The tough thing that I think a lot of musicians and other artists have trouble with is figuring out what to do to get there.

How many people do you know that finish school and have no clue what's next?  It's a total drag, but I know a ton of incredibly talented musicians that fall into this category.

This may be totally obvious but I think it's worth mentioning (I know I could use the reminder once in awhile!) that the first step to figuring out the next step is to figure out what you truly want to accomplish.  Once we know where we're going, it's a hell of a lot easier to start getting there.  Unfortunately there isn't a map to accomplish anything so we're on our own figuring out how to get where we're going.  Some of my favorite conversations with veterans of the music biz are hearing their stories from their own journeys.  Mind you, no plan could ever predict the winding road of life, but you gotta start somewhere!

This is a perfect place for everyone's favor Michael Jordan quote, but I'm going to throw curve ball and leave you with this one instead:

"There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth.  Not going all the way, and not starting."

-Siddhartha Gautama

Thanks for reading and I look forward to hearing your thoughts on this!

-Seth


No comments:

Post a Comment